Family Law Attorney Protecting The Rights Of the LGBT Community and their Families
We have been protecting the rights of LBGT families since the founding of our practice in 2011, including partnership agreements, adoptions, will and estate planning, name changes, deed changes, etc. Since the United States Supreme Court held in Obergefell v. Hodges that “[T]he Fourteenth Amendment requires a state to license a marriage between two people of the same sex and to recognize a marriage between two people of the same sex when their marriage was lawfully licensed and performed out-of-state”, we have been able to help families dissolve their marriages using the protections of divorce law. This allows LBGT and Same Sex Couples to address equitable division of property, provide for child support and child custody, address alimony and other issues of their relationship.
The Legal Services We Provide
The Law Office of Ashley McCartney, LLC, in Atlanta, provides services to all LGBT couples, including:
- Partnership Agreements – Just because you can get married, does not mean you want to. You may be in a long-term relationship and need a partnership agreement to outline property rights and interests in the event the relationship ends.
- Prenuptial Agreements – If you are getting married, we advise a prenuptial agreement to contemplate property division, asset division, alimony and division of liabilities in the event of divorce. You may have been with your partner before same sex marriage was legalized. In that case, we recommend a prenuptial agreement to deal with property and assets you may have acquired together prior to marriage.
- Postnuptial Agreements – If you are already married but did not think a prenuptial agreement was right for your family, you have the option to change your mind and enter into a postnuptial agreement contemplating division or property, assets, spousal support and liabilities.
- Divorce and Separation – As long-standing advocates of the LGBT community, we offer compassionate advocacy and representation of those LGBT couples going through a divorce no matter how complex. Whether it is an uncontested divorce, a divorce with complex child custody or child support issues or a divorce with issues of equitable division of property, we can help.
- Adoptions of Children – Family building is an integral part of the LGBT community. Whether it is a stepparent adoption, a third-party adoption or a relative adoption, we are here to help. In some cases, we advise adoption of children even if the same sex couple are married. Call us today for case specific advice on adoption.
- Estate Planning – Estate planning is important for every member of the LGBT community, whether married, partnered, or single. It offers another layer of legal protection to ensure your wishes are carried out.
Attorney Ashley McCartney has been at the forefront of this area of law from the very beginning. She will fight to protect your legal rights.
Skilled And Compassionate LGBT Legal Representation
Should you have questions regarding this decision or would like to know what you can do to protect your family, contact us at The Law Office of Ashley McCartney, LLC, by calling 404-874-0240 today for a consultation with a skilled family law lawyer.